A British couple say they were left traumatised after they were bitten by bedbugs during their Spanish getaway.
The retirees are now so fearful of the parasitic insects that they haven't been on holiday since then.
And they claim that they have been "passed from pillar to post" after complaining to the tour operator who sold them the trip.
Sue told the Liverpool Echo that she and her husband were left "mentally scarred" and embarrassed as strangers stared at their bites.
Sue and John Berry were left covered in bedbug bites
The couple, from Melling, Merseyside, went on the trip to Levante Park Hotel in Cala Bona, Majorca, in August last year after booking with Tui Gold (formerly Thomson Gold).
They said the company hasn't responded to their latest correspondence.
Sue, 63, said: "It was my husband's first holiday away in ten years and within a couple of days it was ruined. I had bites all over my body and he had them on his legs.
The couple snapped photos of bedbugs in their hotel room
"They were on my neck and chest. We looked like we had a disease. I was really embarrassed and it felt like everyone was looking at us."
Sue said that she was told by a maid that the bites were the work of bedbugs that had infested the room.
At one stage the "infestation" got so bad Sue said they woke up in the middle of the night and could feel the bugs crawling on them.
She added: "We asked to move rooms and they said the hotel was full and it wasn't possible.
The couple say they were left "mentally scarred" and embarrassed
"I was so exhausted and started to cry with frustration as we were covered in bites and it was so sore and uncomfortable.
"That night we sprayed the bed with something the maid had given us but woke up and could see the bugs crawling over us and the bed."
Since returning home Sue said she and her 67-year-old husband are yet to go on another holiday for fear of wasting their money and being affected again.
She said: "I'm still worried about my home being infested. I bought really strong cleaning fluids and even a steamer to clean the house.
"I am now paranoid about bedbugs and this holiday has left me mentally scarred for life."
After making a complaint which got them nowhere at the hotel the couple were advised to complain to their holiday provider but are yet to receive a resolution from the company.
The holidaymakers suffered the bites at a four-star hotel in Majorca
Sue said that in December the holiday company told her that her complaint had been passed to the legal team but it could take six months for them to get a response - but she is still waiting to hear back from them.
Sue added: "I'm at my wits' end with this. We have done everything they asked, filled out all the relevant forms and it just feels like we aren't being taken seriously.
"I spent most of my 14 day holiday running to the chemist for bite cream and sitting in the hotel reception as the sun irritated the bites.
"We paid a lot of money for that trip and it was completely ruined and they can't even respond to us within a six month time frame."
A spokesperson for Tui said: "We're aware of the situation and are investigating the matter as a priority."
Levante Park Hotel has been contacted for comment.