Vomiting holidaymakers sue five-star hotel over poo in pool

Guests were struck down with severe vomiting and diarrhoea

Updated: 

Poo found floating in hotel pool

A group of seriously ill holidaymakers are suing a five-star hotel after allegedly seeing a poo floating in the swimming pool.

The furious tourists are suing top travel firm First Choice after getting sick at the Jaz Aquaviva Resort in Egypt.

See also: Poo in pool ruins wedding in Greek resort

See also: How many Brits have been thrown out of Magaluf hotels?



Among the 26 travellers taking legal action are Jessica, 35, and Andrew Whittington, 39, who were enjoying a week-long stay for their honeymoon in June when they say they were struck down with severe vomiting and diarrhoea.

The couple, from West Sussex, travelled with their two children, Max, 12, and Mia, 5, and say the trip of a lifetime was "ruined".

Two days into her honeymoon, newlywed Jessica began to suffer from excruciating stomach cramps and eventually put on an IV drip.

She claims she has video footage of chefs handling raw meat, cooked meat and salad all while wearing the same gloves.

Credits: Getty Images

A poo was allegedly seen floating in the pool

Foreign Office no longer advising British tourists to avoid travelling to Tunisia following deadly terror attack

Jessica said: "Andrew, Max and I all felt unwell early into the honeymoon and unfortunately we still continue to suffer from our symptoms. As soon as we got to our room I found it quite dirty and uncomfortable, and sadly the holiday went downhill from there.

"I have travelled to Egypt eight times and never fallen ill before. The staff were pleasant to interact with, they just need hygiene training.

"This was meant to be our honeymoon, a dream holiday. We saved up for two years to afford it, but it ended up being a nightmare that we still haven't recovered from."

Jessica also said the family's room was "dirty" with hairs in the corners of the room and dried urine around the bottom of the toilet.

Credits: AFP

A general view of the Egyptian resort city of Hurghada

Huge France wildfires force 10,000 holidaymakers to flee campsites in the south

Another traveller, Abby Moore, said her family was served undercooked food.

The 34-year-old, who travelled to the resort with her husband, Timothy, and their two children, Theo and Charlie, also received medical attention at the resort's clinic.

Abby said: "We didn't really feel like we had a holiday as we came back feeling so much worse than when we left. It was probably the hardest holiday I have ever been on.

"We only went to the beach twice in the entire two weeks we were there and if it hadn't been for the kids, we would have just stayed in the room for the entire holiday.

"I am not surprised we are not the only group of holidaymakers who have fallen ill at this hotel this year. All we want to know now is what caused our illness and ruined our holiday, and could more have been done to protect the guests of the hotel."

Some of those who suffered illness are allegedly still suffering from their symptoms a month after returning from holiday.

Credits: REUTERS

In two weeks, one family only spent two days on the beach

Elephant charges at police car after showing pack of wild dogs who's boss

Nichola Blackburn, an international personal injury specialist for Irwin Mitchell, said: "Gastroenteritis can have serious, long-term health implications for those affected.

"We are now representing over 25 people who were affected by illness at the Jaz Aquaviva Resort following holidays this spring and summer, and we are still receiving enquiries from other guests at the hotel suggesting that something was awry.

"Many of our clients are giving us similar descriptions of their time at the resort and the problems that they faced, including incidents of faeces in the swimming pool, which some of our clients witnessed and believe were not dealt with properly.

"We would encourage anyone who stayed at the Jaz Aquaviva Resort this year and has since experienced gastric symptoms, to see their GP at the earliest available opportunity.

"We would also like to speak with them as they may be able to help with our investigations."

Tourists slam Jet2 for 'conning' them with string of false promises after giving up seats on flight

First Choice spokesperson: "We're sorry to hear about these customers' experience during their holidays earlier this year.

"As we understand this is now subject to legal proceedings we are unable to comment further at this time.

"We closely audit all resorts to which we operate to ensure that health, hygiene and comfort levels are maintained in line with industry standards."

Holidays from hell: The worst experiences ever?

Holidays from hell: The worst experiences ever?


provided by