A man from Malvern will have his finger amputated after he was bitten by a false widow spider at his home in Worcestershire.
Derek Phillips, 82, told the BBC that he woke up to "really throbbing pain" in his left index finger that "didn't ease up at all" seven weeks ago.
SEE ALSO: Giant spiders as big as your hand thriving in Britain
SEE ALSO: Holidaymakers warned over 'flesh-eating' spiders in France
He was forced to spend five days in Worcester Hospital and is due to have surgery to have part of his finger up to his knuckle amputated on Monday.
Doctors suspect he was bitten by a venomous spider while he slept.
Speaking to BBC Radio Hereford and Worcester, his wife Pam said: "I think they were hoping the top of the finger was going to drop off on its own but it's gone on long enough."
False widow spiders have become more common in Britain as the climate changes.
In February, footballer James Gray spoke of being rushed to A&E after a false widow spider bit him on the arm as he slept in his Manchester apartment.
The Wrexham striker went to hospital a week after the bite. He was immediately put on a drip and had surgery to remove the spider's venom.
"The infection was going right up my arm."