Despite the Bangkok bomb explosion which left at least 20 people dead and more than 100 injured, the British government is not advising Britons to avoid Bangkok.
See also:Is your holiday destination safe? FCO advice
Foreigners are known to be among the victims of the blast at a popular shrine in the centre of the Thai capital on Monday, and the Thai government has already said that tourists were being targeted.
While Hong Kong is advising its citizens to avoid non-essential trips to Bangkok as it raised its travel alert to red, the British government has not taken similar action.
Travel advice issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) states: "Local police have confirmed a bomb explosion at 7pm on 17 August 2015 at the Ratchaprasong intersection next to the Erawan Shrine in central Bangkok. There are reports of casualties.
"The British Embassy is in contact with local authorities. You should monitor news reports, follow the advice of local authorities and take extra care.
"There is a high threat from terrorism."
Last month the FCO warned against all but essential travel to Tunisia amid fears of a fresh terror attack almost two weeks after the atrocity in Sousse in which 30 British nationals were among the 38 killed by a gunman.
Bangkok bomb: British woman confirmed dead
Bangkok bomb: Tourists were the targets, says Thai government