Mum has arms and legs amputated after tick bite on holiday

Jo Rogers was on short trip in Grand Lake, Oklahoma when she was bitten by a tick

Updated: 
jo rogers

A woman had both her arms and legs amputated after being bitten by a tick and contracting Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Jo Rogers, 40, was forced to have her limbs amputated to save her life after being bitten by the tick while on holiday in Grand Lake, Oklahoma.

See also: World's deadliest insects

The mum-of-two fell ill shortly after her trip but thought she had the flu. A day later she learned that it was something worse.

Speaking to ABC7, Jo's cousin Lisa Morgan said: "She was shaking her hands because they hurt, her feet hurt. They tested her for West Nile Virus and for meningitis."

Lisa said Jo's body went into shock and her hands and feet soon turned black.

Writing on a fundraising page for Jo, she added: "She was tested for West Nile Virus, meningitis and all other bacterial and viral infections. To protect her vital organs, her body deferred the infection to her limbs.

"Since then she has had surgeries to remove her right leg mid-thigh, her left leg below the knee and both of her arms mid-forearm. She will soon have more surgeries on her arms to prevent the infection from spreading more.

"Last Friday, it was found that she has a blood clot in her lung, more infection in her blood and they are fighting the possibility of pneumonia. They finally found that she has Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever; the worst case seen."

Jo is now trying to stay positive and her family are trying to raise money for her medical bills, rehab and home and car renovation to accommodate her needs.

In 2013, a six-year-old girl from North Carolina died after being bitten by a tick during a family holiday in Texas.

Emilee Russell died from what doctors believed was Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there has been a rise in cases of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever in the last decade. Many of those affected can recover provided their symptoms, which include fever, nausea, headache and stomach pain, are diagnosed and treated quickly.

World's deadliest animals

World's deadliest animals


Related articles

Hundreds of flea eggs burst out of backpacker's foot after Tanzania holiday

Ryanair plane disinfected after passengers complain of insect bites

Tick Bite Causes Allergy to Eating Meat

Tips For Preventing Ticks And Treating Bites