Famous footballer helps couple as camper van goes up in flames

Former Chelsea star stepped in to help after caravan fire in Surrey

Updated: 
Famous footballer helps couple as camper van goes up in flames


Former Chelsea and England footballer Graeme Le Saux stopped to help a couple whose camper van went up in flames in Cranleigh, Surrey, over the weekend.

The incident occurred at around 12pm on Sunday and Le Saux, who lives in the area, stopped to check the couple were ok as he could see smoke coming from their caravan.

See also: The amphibious caravan that floats like a boat

His wife Mariana explained the situation to Get Surrey, and said the entire camper van went "to ashes in around 25 minutes".

She said: "We assumed they had broken down. There was an older couple and the wife seemed agitated.

"My husband said he would go and see if they were alright, as we could see smoke coming from the side door [of the camper van].

"He said that the wife was concerned and told her husband to come away.

"At this point Graeme asked if there was any gas on board, and the husband said yes, as well as petrol. He then said that they had to move straight away, in case the gas exploded.

"But he [the man] was trying to get his wallet, his wife was going crazy.

"They had already called the police and fire, but we phoned them again and made them aware that the smoke was not stopping."

Graeme Le Saux helps couple whose camper van went up in flames

According to the Mirror, she added: "My husband and son stayed with them. I have never seen something go up so quickly. You could just see this inferno.

"My husband and son were stopping traffic as the fire crews had not yet arrived.

"It went from a motorhome to ashes in around 25 minutes.

"We heard mini explosions, which I guess could have been the windows exploding.

"My son said after, 'just so you know, we are never going on a caravan holiday after this'.

"We felt so sorry for the couple, in 40 minutes it was there, then completely gone, it was just ash."

Mariana also tweeted a picture of the scene to warn other motorists of the incident.


Two fire engines were sent to the scene, as well as police and ambulance crews.

A 72-year-old man was taken to the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford suffering from smoke inhalation, but his condition was not serious.

Eyewitness Lucy Boatswain, who managed to capture some pictures of the scene, said: "Nothing could be done. By the time the fire brigade arrived there was nothing left to save. It was just a case of stand back and keep safe."

Britain's deadliest roads

Britain's deadliest roads


Related articles

The Script rescue woman from motorway crash en route to gig

David Beckham and son Brooklyn in car crash

Tornado Tosses Camper Van Onto House