More than 40 drivers are to be prosecuted after filming or slowing down to look at the scene of a serious crash on the M25 at Thurrock earlier this week.
A lorry driver was injured and trapped in his cab following the collision involving two other HGVs at about 4.40am on Thursday June 18.
The clockwise carriageway was closed until just before 2pm while emergency services dealt with the incident and cleared the road.
As traffic moved slowly past the scene on a diversion route and on the anticlockwise carriageway, officers noticed many drivers slowing down to film or video the scene on mobile phones and also to look at the crash scene, known as 'rubber-necking'.
Essex Police says the offending drivers will now receive warnings in the post that they will be summoned to court for careless driving or for using a mobile phone while driving.
Adam Pipe, Casualty Reduction Manager for Essex Police said: "Officers dealing with this serious collision were shocked and disappointed at the behaviour of drivers passing the scene.
"Although vehicles were passing slowly, the offending drivers were distracted and could easily have caused further crashes that could have caused injury or added to delays. They were not in proper control of their vehicles and that means they were driving carelessly.
"This shows no respect for the casualties and the emergency services working to free the injured driver and to clear the damaged vehicles.
He added: "Filming crashes and putting images straight on to social media can also lead to the families of crash victims finding out what has happened to their loved ones before they can be traced and contacted by police officers."
M25 reopens after giant pothole caused traffic chaos
Night-mare: Four horses bring traffic to standstill on M25