A 65-year-old man in Bolton was shocked to find three-foot California king snake in his oven as he went to cook his dinner.
David Atherton scooped the snake up and placed it in plastic box before calling the RSPCA.
The Daily Mail reports that Atherton's sister, who has a phobia of snakes, was taken to hospital with heart problems after hearing the story.
He said: "I would not like to hazard a guess as to what would have happened if she had been the one to open the oven and see it. It could have been much worse.
Reptile expert Crocodile Joe said he will adopt the snake from the RSPCA.
Speaking to Manchester Evening News, he said: "They can get into really small gaps and squeeze into little places which is probably why it was found there.
"They are not dangerous but they will bite if they are provoked. If anyone sees a snake outside do not touch it, call the RSPCA."
California king snakes are one of the most commonly kept pet snakes. They are found in California, Oregon, Nevada and Arizona. They feed on rodents, birds and other reptiles.
Owner saves dog from being crushed and eaten by python (video)