British tourist drowns in swimming pool on holiday in Marbella

Brian Nicol went for swim at villa after night out with friends and family


A 32-year-old Scottish tourist has died on holiday in Marbella after drowning in the swimming pool at the villa where he was staying with family.

Brian Nicol, from Glasgow, had been on a night out with family and friends in the upmarket Spanish holiday resort when he decided to go for a swim.

The Daily Record reports that he managed to drag himself out of the water onto the side of the pool and friends tried to revive him before police arrived but a post-mortem examination showed that he had drowned.

A source close to the investigation told the newspaper: "Our understanding is that he had dived in and swum underwater two or three times during the night without any problem.

"But he failed to surface the last time he jumped in."

The BBC reports that Mr Nicol was staying at a villa complex in Nueva Andalucia, near Puerto Banus, with family.

Police said his death is not being treated as suspicious and that the evidence is pointing to a "tragic accident".

Last year, a British teenager drowned in a hotel swimming pool in the Cypriot party town of Ayia Napa.

Savvakis Alexandros Georgiou, 18, had been partying with friends at the resort's Kalypso Hotel when he slipped into the pool which was "littered with condoms, syringes and cigarette butts", according to his family.

The teenager, who has signed for League Two football club Stevenage FC, was on holiday with his friends at the time.

According to the Mirror, there were more than 20 people in the swimming pool at the time but nobody noticed that the 18-year-old was in trouble until a female swimmer tripped over his body at the bottom of the pool.

Related articles

British graduate dies on first ever scuba dive in Great Barrier Reef

British gran drowns on 'dream holiday' in Goa

World's most dangerous beaches

World's most dangerous beaches

Lifeguard Drowns in Pool Where He Worked

Police: Toddler Drowns in Pool After Leaving Home While Mom Slept

Elderly Gardner Drowns In Backyard Pool