Deadly Japanese pufferfish washes up in Dorset

The poisonous fish was found on Chesil beach

Updated: 
pufferfish washes up on Dorset beach

A deadly Japanese pufferfish was found washed up on a beach in Dorset.

The poisonous fish is usually found in sub- tropical waters and they rarely enter British waters.

The 12 inch long silver fish was found by Richard Fabbri on Chesil Beach in Dorset reports the Mirror.

Luckily, Fabbri did not bring the fish home for his dinner as all pufferfish are poisonous and carry a toxin in their internal organs that has no known antidote.

Many people have died after consuming the deadly fish, unaware of how dangerous they are.

The species balloons in size by filling their bodies with water or air to deter predators from attacking them.

This fish appears to have died while in full defensive mode as its stomach is fully inflated.

Very few pufferfish have been recorded in the UK.

According to the Daily Mail, this is the first time the species has been seen in the area for 30 years.

Mr Fabbri, who works at Weymouth Watersports, said: "It looked very odd. It had this big puffy belly that was under its throat but the rest of its body looked more like a mackerel."

11 Family Members Hospitalized After Unknowingly Eating Deadly Pufferfish

Related stories

Diner nearly dies from puffer fish dish at two Michelin-starred restaurant

Giant jellyfish wash up on beach in Dorset

Seal pup washes up in carpark in Wales

World's most dangerous beaches

World's most dangerous beaches


World's deadliest animals

World's deadliest animals