A warning of a terrorist attack on the London Underground has been branded a hoax by police.
The warning, which police said originated as a text message, said that it was thought a terror attack was going to occur on the Tube network on Monday, claiming "every" policeman had been called in for a special 4am shift in the capital.
It received a lot of attention on social media, and prompted the commander of the British Transport Police to post a tweet saying it was hoax.
Chief Supt Paul Brogden wrote: "Social media contains lots of rumours regarding threats to tube network tomorrow. There is no specific threat so keep calm & carry on."
Social media contains lots of rumours regarding threats to tube network tomorrow. There is no specific threat so keep calm & carry on. 1/2- Ch Supt Paul Brogden (@BTP_B_Division) August 31, 2014
He also retweeted a message by a colleague calling the rumour a hoax.
Rumour control: The "alert" doing the rounds on social about all Met officers being called in for 4am tomorrow is a hoax.- Sgt Nathan Shickle (@MPSBatterseaSgt) August 31, 2014
According to the Metro, the Metropolitan Police Service issued a statement saying simply: "This rumour is completely untrue."
Severe is the second highest of five levels, with 'critical' being the highest, and Home Secretary Theresa May said the decision was related to developments in Iraq and Syria rather than information suggesting an imminent attack.
Men arrested for taking upskirt pics on London Underground
Woman bites man on Tube: Police investigate
Abandoned Tube station sold for £53 million