Giant python swallows pet Chihuahua while owner sleeps


A pet dog tied up in his owner's garden was eaten by a python in New South Wales, Australia.

When the owner went outside to untie the Chihuahua-Maltese on Thursday morning she found a huge carpeted python with a bulge in its body and the dog's chain coming out of its mouth, The Huffington Post reports.

Volunteers from the Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES) were called and found the snake lying in the dog's kennel.

The chain was cut and the 2.5-metre python was observed for 24 hours to see if it would regurgitate the rest of it.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that when the python, aged around 50 years, didn't it had to be taken to a vet.

A photo was posted on WIRES' Facebook page but then removed "as it is considered by the powers that be, as offensive and too graphic for public viewing, from our point of view it is the reality of wildlife rescue and rehabilitation".

Officials say the python is "very happy" and will be released back into the wild when it recovers.

Sue Ulyatt at WIRES told the Sydney Morning Herald: "It's only the second incident like this we've had in over 10 years. Usually it's the other way around, the snake comes off second best.

"Chaining up a dog in a wildlife area is certainly a responsible thing to do, but the dog was too small. It should have been inside."

World's deadliest animals

World's deadliest animals

Related articles

Ten-foot rock python kills family's pet husky

Dog walker discovers royal python in South Yorkshire

Python Found in Everglades Could Be Longest Ever