Man gets bitten by deadly snake in Australia, has cold beer


man has a beer after being bitten by deadly snake

Grabbing a beer from the fridge isn't the usual reaction to being bitten by a poisonous snake but Aussie Rod Sommerville did just that when an eastern brown snake bit him on the finger in his garden.

The 54-year-old, from Yeppoon, Australia, was moving plant pots when the two and a half foot snake bit him.

He grabbed a shovel and whacked it on the head before calling an ambulance.

Speaking to the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin, he said: "I said to myself, if I'm going to cark it I'm going to have a beer, so I got a Goldie out of the fridge and drank that; 'cause you know eastern browns are the second most venomous snake in the world."

Rod kept the bite to himself as he didn't want to make his family panic.

"If you panic it makes it worse," he said.

He was taken to hospital and given anti-venom but suffered an allergic reaction which affected his kidneys and ended up spending four days in intensive care, The Morning Bulletin reports.

He is still recovering in hospital.

In 2012, a British tourist in Australia received a rather nasty surprise when he was bitten on his testicle by a deadly tiger snake while relieving himself in the garden.

Jackson Scott had been out with friends and decided to use the garden at the remote Tasmanian farm where he was staying, rather than the toilet, to save water.

But as he was answering nature's call, one of Australia's most poisonous snakes jumped out and bit him on the testicle.

World's deadliest animals

World's deadliest animals

Related articles

British woman in wheelchair after snake bite on Turkey holiday

Bear Grylls' TV producer suffers horrific injury after snake bite

Teenager Survives World's Most Venomous Snake Bite