A substance that was responsible for poisoning a dog to death and making others ill on Cornwall beaches has now been identified as palm oil.
A clean-up of the beaches involved is now underway after Cory Envoironmental, which works for Cornwall Council, said it was "safe to touch".
Surfers and swimmers had been warned to stay away from the beaches involved, including Praa Sands, Porthcurno and Penzance promenade.
Public Health England (PHE) said the substance had now been confirmed as a "non-toxic, degraded, edible oil or fat", reports the Falmouth Packet.
Dr Femi Oshin, from PHE Devon, Cornwall and Somerset, told the BBC: "It's reassuring that the substance has been found to be some kind of cooking oil.
"It has clearly turned rancid and that's why we've had reports of it smelling so bad.
"While not harmful to people, it's unpleasant, and we'd still advise people - and dog owners with their pets - to keep away from it, and allow the council's contractors to get on with taking it away and disposing of it."
According to the Falmouth Packet, a Penzance vet said a miniature schnauzer had died after eating the white substance at Long Rock beach on Tuesday.
Surfers warned to avoid Cornwall beaches after mystery substance kills dog
Fisherman spots 'great white shark' in Cornwall