Woman bitten by 10ft python on way home from pub - in Swansea

Updated: 

Woman bitten by 10ft python on way home from pub - in Swansea

A woman had to be rushed to hospital after being bitten by a python on her way home from a night out in Swansea, Wales.

Sue Cull, 47, was attacked by a 10ft foot snake as she took a short cut across some grass near to where she lived.

Feeling a sudden stinging sensation on both legs, Sue believed she had walked through stinging nettles.

However, when she got home her partner Kay noticed there was blood streaming from both her legs.

They called for an ambulance and a paramedic told Sue that they believed she had been bitten by a snake.

Sue told the BBC: "Who would think you would get attacked by a python in Swansea.

"At first I thought the pain was just stinging nettles. But looked down to see blood streaming onto my shoes.

"I had no idea it was a snake because it was dark. I would have been scared out of my life if I had seen it."

Woman bitten by 10ft python on way home from pub - in Swansea

At the Morrston Hospital, doctors rang the Medical Reptile Unit in London. They were told to measure the bites and they were then confirmed to be from a python.

Police later said a python had been reported missing from a nearby home, before being safely captured.

According to the Daily Telegraph, Sue said: "They said it was a snake bite. I couldn't believe my ears."

She added: "I couldn't get warm and I was shaking. My face started to swell up.

"I was put on a drip and I stayed overnight in hospital - thankfully, I've made a full recovery."

Pythons, which are nornally found in tropical Asia and Africa, are not poisonous, rather killing their prey by constricting them.

A spokesman for the Reptile Centre in Cardiff told the Daily Mail: "It is possible that she had an allergic reaction to the bite. Any snake may well bite if it is frightened - but the bite alone with not kill you."

Related articles

Snake owner reveals six-foot 'hungry' boa on the loose in Yorkshire

Bear Grylls' TV producer suffers horrific injury after snake bite