Brits flee brand new Turkish hotel after it catches fire


Brits flee brand new Turkish hotel after it catches fire

British holidaymakers have told how they were forced to flee a newly-built seven-storey hotel in Antalya, Turkey after a fire broke out in the generator room.

The Birmingham Mail reports that guests escaped the five-star beachfront Baia Lara Hotel after guests from a neighbouring hotel shouted out that the building was on fire.

It was a miracle that nobody was hurt in the blaze, as no fire alarm sounded - and one guest claims that other guests were forced to bang on pipes to raise the alarm.

Kelly Evans, who had taken her mother, Kathy Evans, away to celebrate her 60th birthday, said: "It was a truly awful experience. Luckily we were awake and were on the six floor. There was no alarm. We were only alerted by guests in the hotel opposite who were shouting that there was a fire. Everybody is really angry that no alarm was raised. We have been moved to another hotel, but nobody wants to go back."

On the hotel website, the Baia Lara is said to stand out for its "minimalist design and privileged high quality service".

At this time of year, a week-long stay, on an all-inclusive basis, costs from £1,685 for two adults.

Thomas Cook said that the cause of the fire is a suspected power surge to the electric generator, triggered by a power cut in the area. The Turkish fire service has since declared the building fit for purpose.

Click on the image below to see some of Europe's secret beaches...

Europe's secret beaches

Europe's secret beaches

Related articles:

Another British tourists attacked at Turkish resort

Two men drown at popular beaches in Turkey