Girl treated for burns on Devon beach caused by disposable BBQ

Updated: 

Girl treated for burns on Devon beach caused by disposable BBQ

A four-year-old girl has been treated for burns after falling onto sand where a disposable barbecue had been used at a Devon beach.

The girl was enjoying a day on Exmouth beach with her family on Sunday when the incident occurred, according to the BBC report.

She was taken to the town's Minor Injuries Unit for treatment to burns on her left foot and hand after she fell on to sand that had been heated by the barbecue.

Nigel Snowshall, from the Exmouth Beach Rescue Club, told the BBC: "People do not realise how hot the sand gets underneath these barbeques and how long it stays hot for. It gets very hot for several inches."

According to Brighton Wired, Mr Snowshall added that barbecue's should be put next to bins, rather than inside them, to await disposal.

Related articles

Teen dies at campsite after sleeping in tent with barbecue

Man dies after using barbecue in camper van in New Forest