Girl, 11, dies of electrocution while playing mini golf

Updated: 

Girl, 11, dies of electrocution while playing mini golfABC News


An 11-year-old girl has died after being electrocuted while playing mini golf at a holiday resort in Florida.

Ashton Jojo, from New York, died while trying to retrieve a ball from a course pond at the Orange Lake Resort in Celebration, Florida.

She had just celebrated her birthday last Friday and was on holiday with her family.

According to ABC News, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said in a statement: "During her game, the victim's golf ball fell into a small pond that is located inside the golf area. When the victim attempted to retrieve her ball from the pond, she screamed as if she was in distress."

"The Medical Examiner ruled cause of death in this case to be electrocution. Detectives are still examining what led to the water in the pond to be unsafe."

However, according to a video posted on ABC News, investigators believe that circuit breakers in the pond's pumps system were "improperly replaced" and that sent a charge through the water.

A bystander, Christopher Burges, heard the girl screaming and attempted to rescue her but was also injured and unable to help.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Sign up to our weekly newsletter
| Follow us on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook