Camping trip turns to tragedy as man killed by BBQ gas poisoning


A birthday camping trip in the New Forest turned into a tragedy after a man died when he lit his BBQ inside his tent to warm it up.

Vincent Clare, who was celebrating his 50th birthday, was found dead in his sleeping bag and is thought to have been killed by carbon monoxide poisoning at the campsite in Linwood, near Ringwood. His wife, Alison, was taken seriously ill but survived.

The tragic accident happened just 24 hours after the couple, from Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, booked into the Red Shoot Camping Park.

The couple moved the cooker inside when temperatures dropped, but, despite moving it back outside again, the fumes lingered and apparently killed Mr Clare as he slept.

The couple were found on 15 July when other members of their family arrived at the site.
Jacqui Oldfield, one of the site's owners, told the Express: 'It was absolutely horrible.'

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents warned last night people should never use stoves or ­barbecues for either cooking or warmth in an enclosed space with poor ventilation.

Related articles

Girl bitten by venomous snake on holiday in Hampshire