You're about to get a lot more control over how companies use and store your personal data thanks to GDPR – a new set of rules that will soon replace the existing Data Protection Act.
What is GDPR?
- The General Data Protection Regulation is a new set of rules governing the privacy and security of personal data laid down by the European Commission.
- Companies and organisations must stick to these rules to when it comes to how your personal data is stored and used or else they will face big fines.
- The regulations will take effect from on May 25th 2018.
- The British government have confirmed that they will be implementing these regulations regardless of Brexit.
What does it mean for you?
- Increased rights over, and access to, the information companies hold about you. You may ask a business, free-of-charge, what data they hold about you and they must tell you within one month.
- You will have 'the right to be forgotten' i.e. you may ask a company to erase all the personal data it stores about you in some circumstances.
- It should become easier for you to transfer your data from one service to another. This should make it simpler to switch between utilities providers.
Good news for TalkTalk customers
This change in the law provides a great opportunity for you to update your profile in My Account. Here, you can update your preferences so that we can keep you informed about the things that really matter to you. Stuff like staying safe online, avoiding scams, plus our latest offers and products. It won't take long. You can even choose how often you want to hear from us.
Our promise to you
Your details will not be given to third parties for their marketing
Your data will continue to be protected
You set your preferences for how we get in touch
You tell us about what you want to hear about
Remember it's easy to set your preferences in My Account to tell us what you want to read about.
Not registered? Don't worry - you just need your account number and TalkTalk phone number. Or if you've forgotten your details, we'll help with that too here.