Leah Williamson returns to WSL action but title-chasing Arsenal lose at West Ham

Leah Williamson’s first start in nine months could not inspire Arsenal to victory as their Women’s Super League title hopes suffered a setback with a 2-1 defeat at West Ham.

The England captain was back in the starting line-up for the first time since suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury and looked set to enjoy a winning return when Arsenal edged in front just before the break through Alessia Russo’s back-post header.

Williamson was replaced at half-time and the Hammers were given an opportunity to equalise when Steph Catley brought down Riko Ueki inside the area. Viviane Asseyi stepped up and sent Manuela Zinsberger the wrong way to make it 1-1.

West Ham completed the turnaround in the 58th minute after a free-kick was headed back out to Hawa Cissoko, who finished expertly to give the hosts back-to-back league wins for the first time this season.

Leaders Chelsea eased past 3-0 Everton to record their eighth consecutive victory in all competitions.

Guro Reiten gave Emma Hayes’ side a 27th-minute lead from the penalty spot.

Guro Reiten scored two penalties for Chelsea
Guro Reiten scored two penalties for Chelsea (Nigel French/PA)

The Norway international repeated the feat in the 72nd minute before Erin Cuthbert added a late third to keep the Blues three points clear of Manchester City and six clear of the Gunners.

Nikita Parris bagged a brace as Manchester United earned a second consecutive win with a 2-0 victory over Brighton.

United were quick out of the blocks and opened the scoring in the ninth minute when Parris lashed home from Geyse’s low cross.

Parris was on the score sheet again midway through the second half in carbon copy fashion to the first as Geyse delivered a cross following some neat footwork down the right and Parris finished first time to condemn Brighton to their second successive defeat without scoring.

Manchester City left it late as Lauren Hemp and Chloe Kelly scored twice in the final eight minutes to beat Leicester 2-0.

City dominated the contest throughout but the Foxes stubborn defence held firm until the 82nd minute when Hemp’s acrobatic finish rolled into the back of the net.

Manchester City v Leicester City – Barclays Women’s Super League – Joie Stadium
Lauren Hemp put Manchester City in front in the 82nd minute (Nick Potts/PA)

They sealed victory three minutes later in superb fashion when Kelly whipped in directly from a corner for their 10th victory of the season.

Marie Hobinger scored in stoppage time to earn Liverpool a 1-1 draw with Tottenham.

Celin Bizet’s 72nd-minute strike looked set to send Tottenham above Liverpool in the table, but they failed to extend their lead as they missed golden opportunities through Wang Shuang and Amanda Nilden’s effort which struck a post.

And Liverpool made them pay at the death when Leanne Kiernan cut the ball back for Hobinger, who found the bottom corner.