Kovac wants Sanches to stay at Bayern, rules out Bale move
Niko Kovac says Renato Sanches' future is at Bayern Munich, with the coach ruling out a move for Gareth Bale.
Sanches has struggled to break through since joining Bayern from Benfica in 2016, the 21-year-old midfielder starting four Bundesliga games last term.
But the Portugal international still has a future with the German champions despite his problems, according to Kovac.
"We've told Renato that we'd like him to stay," Kovac said ahead of Saturday's International Champions Cup clash with Real Madrid.
"He's obviously been considering his options after last season, but we explained the reasons behind his limited game time and he understood them. He sees his future with us."
Niko #Kovac on #FCBRMA: "We'll take the game very seriously, just like the first one. We're really looking forward to it. It'll be a great atmosphere in a great stadium. The tour has been a real success so far."#AudiFCBTour#VisitingFriendspic.twitter.com/LVAoT2erH0— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) July 20, 2019
Bayern are seeking attacking reinforcements after the departures of veteran wing duo Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery.
Leroy Sane and Callum Hudson-Odoi have been confirmed as targets by the club but Kovac flatly denied a move for Madrid misfit Bale is possible.
Asked by a reporter if there was a place for the Wales forward in his squad, Kovac replied: "No."
He added: "I would like my German colleagues [journalists] to listen carefully to what I have to say. He [Bale] is a great player, like other players who are also great players.
"I can't tell you whether he really can play somewhere else apart from Real Madrid and if he will even succeed at other clubs. This is something that I don't know and I can't really predict."