Bellamy would be 'surprised' if Smith made Origin return
Melbourne Storm head coach Craig Bellamy would be shocked if Cameron Smith made a State of Origin return for Queensland.
Smith, 35, retired from representative action last year, but has been linked with a surprise comeback for the Maroons in 2019.
While Smith and Maroons coach Kevin Walters have ruled out a return, talk around the Storm star is set to continue until the series opener on June 5.
Bellamy said he would be stunned if Smith played Origin again despite Queensland's injury woes.
"I don't see it as a distraction for us. I think Cameron has made it pretty clear his Origin career is finished, but there may be some persuasive people in Queensland looking to change that," he told a news conference.
"But I think he made that commitment last year to himself and probably to his family.
"So I'd be surprised, but I think he's made it pretty clear in the 1,000 times he's probably been asked, but I say I might be wrong."
The opening game of the series is in Brisbane on June 5.
Melbourne are third in the NRL ladder, two points behind the top two in Sydney Roosters and South Sydney Rabbitohs.