May stood down by NRL following police charges
Penrith Panthers playmaker Tyrone May has been stood down by the NRL after he was charged with allegedly filming and disseminating sexual acts with two women without their knowledge and consent.
May, 22, has been charged by New South Wales (NSW) Police with two counts of recording intimate images without consent, and two counts of disseminating images without consent.
He has been granted conditional bail to appear at Penrith Local Court on May 1.
Panthers chief executive Brian Fletcher said May will "vigorously deny" the charges, which relate to the alleged filming and disseminating of a sexual act at Coffs Harbour in February last year and another three months later at Kingswood.
"Police have been told that while the sexual acts were consensual, the women were unaware they were being filmed," read a statement from NSW Police. "These recordings were also allegedly disseminated without their consent. Over the past few days, the women became aware of the existence of the videos and contacted police."
The NRL said May would be subject to the new no-fault stand-down policy, meaning he will be sidelined until his court proceedings are finished.
Penrith backed that move, with chairman David O'Neill saying in a club statement: "The decision to stand down Tyrone May is not about passing judgement on guilt or innocence.
"Panthers acknowledges the seriousness of the charges and agrees the decision is in the best interests of the game.
"May will continue to train with the club and we will work closely with the NRL and the RLPA [Rugby League Players' Association] to ensure his wellbeing."
NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said: "Our new policy provides for the automatic stand down of players on a no-fault basis where they are charged with serious criminal matters.
"It also provides discretion for players to be stood down for other matters, particularly where the criminal allegations involve women.
"In the circumstances of the current charges I have determined to place Tyrone May on a no-fault stand down. The no-fault stand down will remain in force until the court proceedings are concluded."