Martirosyan ready to take out anger on Golovkin
Vanes Martirosyan is ready to use the anger of going without a fight for two years to upset Gennady Golovkin on Saturday.
Martirosyan was handed a shot at the WBA, WBC and IBO middleweight titles after Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez - Golovkin's expected opponent for a rematch of their 2017 draw - tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol and was suspended for six months.
However, the 32-year-old Martirosyan's last fight was in May 2016, when he lost to Erislandy Lara in a light middleweight title bout.
But Martirosyan (36-3-1) said the frustration of going so long without a fight would only inspire him.
"I'll just be myself. We've got a good game plan for the fight," he told Omnisport ahead of the bout at the StubHub Center in California.
"All the hunger, all the anger for the last two years of not being in the ring is going to show on Saturday."
Final press conference today. Looking forward to Saturday night. Thank you for all the support. #teamnightmare Also wanted to thank all of my sponsors for supporting through this journey, we WIN together Thanks to my Sponsors @getkushypunch @sunset_herbal_corner @diamondized_co @cholakyanchiro @snacsystem @getmobilewash @vehicle_inspection_solutions @knllogistics
Golovkin (37-0-1) is a hot favourite, but the undefeated Kazakh has been pushed the distance in his past two fights.
But Martirosyan dismissed any suggestions the 36-year-old - who is bidding to tie Bernard Hopkins' middleweight record of 20 consecutive title defences - is in decline.
"The guy won. It's not like he lost. He has a perfect record," he said.
"I don't think he's declined. Unless he gets a loss, then you'll say he's declined but so far the guy keeps winning and he's been doing good."
Martirosyan added: "I'm just going to show what I can do, and people will see where I belong in the sport.
"On top of that, we'll see what Golovkin is all about because I'm coming to fight."