Wilder's camp extends $50m offer for fight with Joshua
World heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua wanted $50million to fight Deontay Wilder and it appears the British star has it within reach.
A unification bout with WBC champion Wilder has been touted for WBA, IBF and WBO titleholder Joshua, who claimed the latter belt with a unanimous decision over Joseph Parker last month.
A clash between the two unbeaten boxers is the fight everyone wants to see and on Wednesday, American Wilder announced he had something in the mail for Joshua - a $50m offer.
"I got something special for you," Wilder tweeted. "And by the way, all the money's in the bag."
@anthony_joshua Mate! I sent this personally this time just so there's no miscommunication. Tell @eddiehearn to let you personally check his email this time. Btw I sent Your manager Rob McCracken the email as well. I'm looking forward to our meeting in the ring #KingVs#King #BombZquad #TheRealestChampionInTheBusiness
Wilder's promoter Shelly Finkel gave Joshua and his camp until the end of the day on Thursday to accept the offer.
"We want [Joshua] to fight Deontay in his next fight and we offered him $50m," Finkel told Sky Sports. "If he accepts it, it will be there. Al Haymon and I have never not delivered what we've offered.
"We were offered $12.5m [£8.8m] to fight him but we have offered four times that. If [Joshua] says he is not going to take $50m, it means he doesn't really want to fight him next.
"It was $50m against 50 per cent. He said, 'get me $50m against 50 per cent and I'll take it the next day, I swear'."
However, Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn said he has a meeting set up with Finkel for Friday, while he remains doubtful the money is for real.
"With all due respect to Deontay Wilder, I don't believe he has $50million," Hearn told Sky Sports.
"However, if they actually send some formal paperwork and a contract along with further details on how this money will be secured, we will definitely have to take this seriously."