Van Dijk surpasses Suarez as Liverpool make statement signing
We're not yet into January but the coming transfer window has already seen a momentous piece of business.
Virgil van Dijk has been put out of his misery at Southampton, with Liverpool having agreed a fee to bring the Netherlands international to Anfield.
The centre-back will reportedly cost £75million, with Saints confirming on their official website that the sum is the biggest that has ever been paid for a defender.
It's a major statement of intent from Liverpool, who have shattered their transfer record for the second time since the end of last season, and it means Van Dijk now holds a place in the list of the top 10 most expensive deals in football history, having surpassed former Anfield favourite Luis Suarez in the process...
1. NEYMAR: BARCELONA TO PSG - EUR222M
2. KYLIAN MBAPPE: MONACO TO PSG - EUR180M (permanent deal to be completed in 2018)
=3. OUSMANE DEMBELE: BORUSSIA DORTMUND TO BARCELONA - EUR105M
=3. PAUL POGBA: JUVENTUS TO MANCHESTER UNITED - EUR105M
5. GARETH BALE: TOTTENHAM TO REAL MADRID - EUR100.8M
6. CRISTIANO RONALDO: MANCHESTER UNITED TO REAL MADRID - EUR94M
7. GONZALO HIGUAIN: NAPOLI TO JUVENTUS - EUR90M
8. NEYMAR: SANTOS TO BARCELONA - EUR86.2M
9. ROMELU LUKAKU: EVERTON TO MANCHESTER UNITED - EUR84.8M
10. VIRGIL VAN DIJK: SOUTHAMPTON TO LIVERPOOL - EUR84.5M
11. LUIS SUAREZ LIVERPOOL TO BARCELONA - EUR82.3M
(*Prices are as reported at the time of transfers being completed.)