Atletico Madrid v Real Madrid: The numbers behind El Derbi
One of the highlights of the LaLiga calendar, the first Madrid derby of the season takes place at the Wanda Metropolitano on Saturday.
Atletico Madrid against Real Madrid may not draw the same hype as El Clasico, but it is always highly anticipated.
Here, with the help of Opta data, we look at the historical stats behind a rivalry that has endured through the decades.
A new beginning for a historic fixture
- This will be the 161st LaLiga derby between Atletico and Real Madrid, the second most in the competition after the Catalan derby between Barcelona and Espanyol (167).
- The Rojiblancos will hope for a change of fortune at their new home. They failed to win their first league derby at both the Vicente Calderon (2-2 in 1967) and Estadio Metropolitano de Madrid (0-3 in 1929).
- Real Madrid have won more games against Atletico than any other team in LaLiga history (86). Los Blancos are the team with the most away wins against Atletico in the competition (34).
- Atletico Madrid have only lost one of their last eight league derbies against Madrid (W4 D3), that defeat coming in their final LaLiga derby at the Vicente Calderon (0-3 in November 2016).
- That Madrid win was the only victory in their last eight visits to the Calderon in all competitions (D3 L4). They lost their last game there, 2-1 in the second leg of last season's Champions League semi-final, although that result was part of a 4-2 aggregate victory for the European champions.
- The Champions League defeat saw Isco became the last player to score in the Madrid derby in Vicente Calderon history. That goal was the only one scored by the Spain playmaker in his 19 encounters against Atletico in all competitions.
- Atletico have only won one of their past 16 games at home against Madrid in La Liga (D4 L11), beating them 4-0 in February 2015. That was the biggest Atletico win against Madrid in the competition since 1987 (4-0 at Santiago Bernabeu in November).
- Antoine Griezmann has scored three goals in his last six league derbies against Madrid, one at Vicente Calderon and two at Santiago Bernabeu.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored six goals in his last four games against Atletico in all competitions, a hat-trick in the last league game at Vicente Calderon and another in the first leg of Champions League semi-final last season.
Simeone v Zidane
- Atletico have won four of their 11 league derbies against Madrid with Diego Simeone as manager (D3 L4), as many as they had in their previous 44 before Argentinian's arrival in the competition (D12 L28).
- Zinedine Zidane has only won two of his six games as manager versus Atletico in all competitions (D2 L2), with both coming last season.
- The Frenchman won the first of his seven major honours as Real Madrid coach against Atletico in the 2016 Champions League final. Los Blancos prevailed 5-3 in a penalty shoot-out after the match ended 1-1.