Too early for Max Verstappen title challenge, says dad Jos

Updated: 

Max Verstappen is not ready to challenge for the Formula One world championship this season, according to his father Jos.

The teenager flourished in 2016 after switching from Toro Rosso to Red Bull ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix in May, Verstappen winning in Barcelona in his first race with the senior team.

He collected another six podiums across the remainder of the season to finish fifth in the drivers' standings, while his aggressive style earned plaudits in the closing races.

Ahead of the new season Verstappen has been touted as a potential title contender if Red Bull can deliver him a competitive car, but his father believes adding to his sole race win should be Max's main target.

"Of course there is talk of a world title, but my personal opinion is that it is still a year too early," Jos Verstappen told Ziggo Sport Totaal.

"Last year Max won in Spain, so hopefully he can win more races this year. I would like to see three or four, and I think it's possible.

"Red Bull has always been strong with new rules, and with the information that I have, I think it looks really good."

The opening weekend of the F1 season begins with the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne on March 26.