Conor McGregor: 'I've got my eyes on one thing -- Floyd Mayweather' as he eyes $1 billion fight

Updated: 

Conor McGregor says he's "got his eyes on one thing -- and that's Floyd Mayweather," with the UFC star confident the $1 billion fight will take place at the end of the year or at the start of 2018.

McGregor and retired boxer Mayweather have made it clear they want to step into the ring for a cross-combat mega-fight, as the pair continue to toy with the sporting public via social media.

The sticking point has been finances, with Mayweather -- who turns 40 in February and boasted a 49-0 record -- only willing to offer McGregor $15 million up front after the mixed-martial arts champion demanded $100 million.

While confirmation of the blockbuster showdown is still some way off, McGregor believes fans will see him step into the ring with boxing gloves on, sooner rather than later.

"There's a lot of business in Las Vegas," the 28-year-old said during a Q&A event in Manchester on Saturday. "They tried to fine me $150,000 for throwing a bottle of water.

"I'm going to go to Las Vegas, get my boxing license and then we see where the f*** Floyd's at.

"I have my eyes on one thing and that's Floyd Mayweather.

"That fight is more than just being explored. There's a lot of steps, but it's the fight to make. It's the fight I want.

"I am enjoying the little games we're playing, the back and forth. Let's give the fans what they want."

McGregor, who holds the UFC record for the most lucrative disclosed purse at UFC 202 in August last year, added: "I'm happy an offer was made, we're getting there.

"We're moving up. It's still not there yet, but it's closing in on it.

"If [the] Manny [Pacquiao] and Floyd [fight] did half a billion, this is a billion-dollar fight. People gotta pay for it.

"I believe this is the first billion (dollar) fight. I think it will happen at the end of this year or the start of next year.

"I believe the next time I step into a combat arena will be through the ropes with 10 ounce gloves on."