Robben hopes Alonso stays at Bayern amid retirement rumours

Updated: 

Arjen Robben signed a one-year contract extension at Bayern Munich this week and would like to see Xabi Alonso follow suit amid reports the Spaniard is set to retire.

Alonso's deal at the Allianz Arena runs out at the end of this season, and Sport Bild have reported he will call time on his career upon its expiration.

However, Robben hopes the 35-year-old, who has won two Champions Leagues, a pair of European Championships and the World Cup during a decorated career, remains at Bayern for another season.

"I think it's still not clear. Xabi is two years older than me. He has to decide if he wants to continue his career," Robben told a media conference.

"He has already had an unbelievable career and won every title, but he has to make a decision with the club.

"Xabi is a true professional and he fits in our team. He still has a lot of qualities and I would be happy if he would stay another year, but that's not my decision."

Having agreed an extension to his Bayern deal until June 2018, Robben is not ruling out doing the same again next year.

"I am happy that I extended my contract for one year. We have still got this season and so I still have one and a half years in front of me," said the Dutchman.

"I already said that I want to play as long as I can on that level. Maybe next year if the situation is good, I am feeling good and I had a good year, I can imagine extending my contract for one year again.

"But that's so far in the future. Right now I am only busy with football and I am happy that the contract talks are finished and we can concentrate on the second half of the season."

Bayern hold a three-point advantage over RB Leipzig at the top of the Bundesliga and return to action away at Freiburg on Friday.