Marvin Lewis confirms plan to return to Bengals in 2017 despite rumours

Updated: 

Marvin Lewis has every intention to return to the Cincinnati Bengals' sideline next season despite a report to the contrary.

Although Lewis told the Cincinnati Enquirer he planned to continue for a 15th campaign in charge earlier this month, former Washington Redskins tight end Chris Cooley reignited retirement rumours on his radio show on Sunday.

After declining to directly reiterate his commitment to the franchise during a news conference Wednesday, Lewis clarified the situation on Thursday.

"I'll be back in 2017," he told SiriusXM NFL Radio.

On why he had been guarded a day prior, Lewis said: "I just didn't want to make a headline. I don't need to make headlines.

"I don't want to see my name in a headline. Someone had already very unresponsibly made a headline, and I wasn't going to give any credibility to that."

The Bengals are a disappointing 5-9-1 heading into Sunday's season finale and remain winless (0-7) in playoff games under Lewis.

Lewis is 117-110-3 in 14 seasons, and only Bill Belichick in New England has a longer tenure with his team among current NFL head coaches.