England emphatically end Springboks hoodoo


England emphatically ended their 10-year wait for a win over South Africa with a comfortable 37-21 victory at Twickenham on Saturday.

The hosts' run without a triumph against South Africa stretched 12 matches and included a 15-6 defeat to the Springboks in the 2007 Rugby World Cup final.

It had looked as if England would be in for another tough examination as South Africa led for much of the first half despite Jonny May's 11th-minute try.

However, England scored 13 points in the final six minutes of the first half - Courtney Lawes touching down on his 50th appearance - to tilt the game firmly in their favour, before George Ford's try effectively put the game beyond doubt as the hosts continued where they left off from the series whitewash of Australia.

The win makes it 11 straight for England, with 10 of those victories coming under the tutelage of Eddie Jones, who will look to extend his unbeaten run as head coach further against Fiji next week.

South Africa made the more composed start to proceedings and held a six-point lead inside seven minutes as Pat Lambie followed up an early penalty with a drop goal.

But that advantage was erased courtesy of a superb England attacking move from a line-out that finished with Mike Brown finding May, who finished excellently in the left-hand corner.

South Africa were provided with an immediate chance to regain the lead, only for Lambie to fail with the boot.

The fly-half atoned for that miss with a simple three-pointer in the 21st minute following good work from the Springbok pack.

George Ford skewed a drop goal wide of the right-hand post as England wasted a period of territory.

Farrell did restore England's slender advantage after South Africa were pinned for collapsing the scrum and Jones' men earned some breathing room when Lawes marked his landmark appearance with a score.

South Africa failed to deal with a kick over the top from Elliot Daly, preferred to Jonathan Joseph at outside centre, and - after Brown had knocked the ball back - Lawes pounced to make it an eight-point gap, which was extended to 11 on the stroke of half-time by Daly's long-range penalty.

And South Africa's task was made even harder just four minutes after the restart, Ben Youngs bursting through a gap from the ruck and feeding Ford for England's third try, before Farrell's boot made the gap three converted tries.

Johan Goosen and Willie le Roux crossed for consolation tries for South Africa that were sandwiched by England's fourth try, Youngs setting up Farrell as England put another southern hemisphere power to the sword.