Deja vu for Scotland as Wallabies leave it late


Tevita Kuridrani's late try inflicted another agonising defeat on Scotland as Australia won 23-22 at Murrayfield despite a double from Huw Jones on his first international start.

A controversial last-gasp Bernard Foley penalty consigned Scotland to a heart-breaking 35-34 World Cup quarter-final defeat when the two sides last met at Twickenham 13 months ago.

Scotland had threatened to gain some measure of revenge with a first defeat of the Wallabies for four years. Lively centre Jones claimed a double on his home debut - and only his second appearance for his country - and Jonny Gray also went over in the second half after Scotland opened up a 17-10 lead at the break.

Reece Hodge came up with Wallabies' solitary try of the first half and Kuridrani made amends for failing to haul down Jones when he touched down for a second time, bursting through five minutes from time despite Australia being a man down after Will Skelton was sin-binned.

Fly-half Foley was left with the straightforward task of converting to take his tally with the boot to 13 points and ensure Australia followed up their win over Wales with a contrasting victory. The Wallabies have now come out on top in 19 of their last 21 Tests against Scotland.

Scotland started with great vigour and Greig Laidlaw's early penalty put them in front, but they were put on the back foot immediately and the Wallabies were held up just short of the line before losing Adam Coleman to injury.

The opening try came with just seven minutes played and it went the way of Scotland, with Finn Russell chipping ahead for the fleet-footed Jones to pluck the loose ball out of the air before racing away to go under the posts.

Laidlaw added the extras, but Australia hit back with a well-worked try of their own five minutes later, moving the ball from right to left with slick handling following a lineout to enable Hodge to touch down and Foley made it 10-7 from the tee.

Foley brought the men in green and gold level, yet Scotland, who lost Ryan Wilson to injury, looked a threat every time they attacked and the sprightly Jones darted past Kuridrani a little too easily to claim another five-pointer, which Laidlaw converted to make it 17-10 at the break.

Foley made it three from three with the boot soon after the restart, but Gray crashed over for a third try to put Scotland nine points to the good and Laidlaw was unfortunate to see his conversion strike an upright.

Another Foley penalty reduced the deficit to 22-16 prior to Ross Ford being replaced in his 100th Scotland appearance and John Hardie being carted off, but Scotland defended resolutely to frustrate the Wallabies until more late drama unfolded.

Australia were reduced to 14 men with 12 minutes remaining when Skelton was yellow-carded for a shoulder charge at the ruck, but continued to threaten and Kuridrani showed great strength to muscle his way through for a fine individual try and Foley made no mistake to strike another hammer blow to Scotland.