Dovizioso dominates at soggy Sepang
Andrea Dovizioso produced a dominant display at a sodden Sepang International Circuit to claim pole for Sunday's Malaysian MotoGP.
Ducati rider Dovizioso posted a time of two minutes and 11.485 seconds on Saturday, his fastest lap almost a quarter of a second quicker than Valentino Rossi.
After hitting the top of the timesheets early in Q2, Dovizioso remained unthreatened, as Rossi (+0.246seconds) and Movistar Yamaha team-mate Jorge Lorenzo (+0.302s) completed the front row.
World champion Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) was the only other man within a second of the Italian pole-sitter, with Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) and the returning Andrea Iannone (Ducati) fifth and sixth respectively.
Crutchlow - the winner of last week's Australian GP at Phillip Island - had earlier come through Q1 together with Loris Baz, who did enough to make the second session despite a fall.
There was a crash for Crutchlow in Q2, but he recovered impressively to claim fifth.
1. Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati) 2:11.485secs
2. Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha) +0.246s
3. Jorge Lorenzo (Movistar Yamaha) +0.302s
4. Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda) +0.389s
5. Cal Crutchlow (LCR Honda) +1.073s
6. Andrea Iannone (Ducati) +1.113s
7. Aleix Espargaro (Suzuki Ecstar) +1.384s
8. Maverick Vinales (Suzuki Ecstar) +1.496s
9. Alvaro Bautista (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) +1.840s
10. Loris Baz (Avintia Racing) +1.967s
11. Pol Espargaro (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) +2.222s
12. Hector Barbera (Avintia Racing) +2.488s