Devastating All Blacks hammer Wallabies to claim record win


Julian Savea scored a second-half double as all-conquering New Zealand whitewashed Australia to claim a record 18th consecutive victory with a 37-10 triumph at fortress Eden Park on Saturday.

The world champions became the first tier one nation to reel off more than 17 Test wins in a row, running in six tries in another clinical display to win the Bledisloe Cup series 3-0 and pass the mark which both they and South Africa set.

Steve Hansen's side by no means had things all their own way and their trans-Tasman rivals felt aggrieved not to be level at 15-15 early in the second half when a Henry Speight try was controversially ruled out.

The Wallabies were unable to stop the All Blacks juggernaut, though, as Israel Dagg, Anton Lienert-Brown and TJ Perenara scored first-half tries in Auckland.

It was the Savea show after the interval, with the imposing wing helping himself to a double to go fourth on the all-time list of New Zealand try-scorers with 45 before he laid on another for Dane Coles.

Rory Arnold scored Australia's only try in a first half which they dominated possession but failed to make it pay, slumping to a second 3-0 series defeat for the first time in a calendar year after they were also whitewashed by England.

New Zealand were in front inside six minutes when Dagg took a pass from Ben Smith to go over in the corner and Australia were rattled when Lienert-Brown sped away for a second score inside 10 minutes.

The Wallabies were rewarded for a positive response to a poor start when Arnold reached over to score his first Test after good work from Bernard Foley - who made no mistake in adding the extras.

Australia had plenty of ball, but shot themselves in the foot when a Reece Hodge kick was charged down and Perenara reacted quickly to dart away for a simple try to make it 15-7 at the break.

A Foley penalty early in the second half reduced the deficit to five points and the fly-half attacked the All Blacks line before feeding Speight, who burst away down the right and dived over the line to seemingly level the match.

However, referee Nigel Owens went upstairs and the TMO advised the Welsh official to rule the try out as he felt Savea was impeded unfairly when trying to set off in pursuit of Speight.

Wallabies head coach Michael Cheika was fuming and Coles almost added insult to injury, but Foley raced back to deny the hooker after he kicked a loose ball forward following a turnover.

Foley hit the post from the tee and New Zealand were 22-10 to the good 14 minutes into the second half when Savea swooped to scoop up the ball and showed great strength to go under the posts, with replacement Aaron Cruden converting.

Cruden, on for the below-par Beauden Barrett, added another three-pointer to give All Blacks further breaking space and powerhouse Savea was leaping for joy after charging down the left to dot down for a second time before offloading for Coles to complete the scoring.