Tennis Australia endorses Kyrgios ban, offers support
Tennis Australia says the health and wellbeing of Nick Kyrgios is a priority after he was banned for eight tournament weeks following his conduct in the Shanghai Masters.
Kyrgios hit the headlines for the wrong reasons once again when he appeared to give up during his defeat to qualifier Mischa Zverev last week.
The world number 14 was fined US$16,500 last week and the ATP on Monday imposed a lengthy suspension on the controversial Australian, who also received an additional US$25,000 fine as a result of his latest display of tanking.
Kyrgios will be banned until January 15 - the eve of the Australian Open - unless he enters a plan of care under a sports psychologist or an equivalent ATP-approved plan, which will enable his ban to be reduced to three tournament weeks.
Tennis Australia revealed the two-time grand-slam quarter-finalist, who issued another apology and said he accepted his punishment, has agreed to seek help and the organisation has vowed to support the 21-year-old.
The governing body said in a statement: "Tennis Australia will support the ATP sanction on Nick Kyrgios following recent events in Shanghai.
"Nick's health and wellbeing is a priority and the ATP has offered a reduced penalty on the provision that he seeks appropriate professional advice, which he has agreed to do.
"Nick understands the gravity of his actions, has shown remorse and expressed a willingness to improve.
"We believe it's our responsibility to help Nick, along with all our young athletes, improve both professionally on court as a player, and personally. We have always offered assistance and advice to Nick and his team and will continue to do so."