Wigan 12 Warrington 6: Charnley signs off Warriors career with Grand Final winner

Josh Charnley signed off his Wigan Warriors career with the Super League Grand Final-winning try in a 12-6 victory over Warrington Wolves at Old Trafford.

Charnley was making his final appearance for Wigan ahead of a code-switching move to Sale Sharks, and he went out with a bang by ensuring Shaun Wane's team did not suffer a third straight defeat in the season finale.

The wing added to an effort from Oliver Gildart, who brought the Warriors level after Declan Patton, selected at half-back with Chris Sandow left on the bench by Tony Smith, scored the game's opening try in the first half.

Wigan began impressively and were on the board after seven minutes courtesy of a Matty Smith penalty before Charnley had a try in the corner ruled out for a clear forward pass by Anthony Gelling.

After eventually finding their feet, Warrington gained the lead when Patton created a gap with an excellent dummy and darted through for his fourth Super League try in the 21st minute, successfully adding the extras himself.

Jack Hughes came close to scoring a second for Warrington but he lost control of the ball as he stretched for the line.

Wigan responded by sending on captain Sean O'Loughlin, who had been left out of the initial squad due to a calf injury, but they went into the break behind.

Sandow replaced Daryl Clark in the 52nd minute and his impact was almost instant, helping Warrington move the ball more efficiently before Ryan Atkins had a try denied by the video official for a knock-on.

It proved costly as Liam Farrell - later awarded the Harry Sunderland award for the man of the match - broke the line and offloaded to Gildart, who crossed in front of a raucous Wigan support, although Smith was unable to convert and give his team the lead.

But when Tom Lineham dropped the ball in a tackle inside his own 20, Wigan took charge from the following attack with Charnley touching down off a brilliant grubber kick by Dan Sarginson.

Smith slotted over his second goal after Stefan Ratchford conceded a penalty for a ball steal on O'Loughlin, with Charnley showing his defensive prowess to help force Matty Russell out in the corner and consolidate a victory that keeps Warrington waiting for their first Super League title.

Read Full Story