Murray and Raonic advance as Thiem crashes out


Andy Murray and Milos Raonic cruised through to the third round of Wimbledon, but Dominic Thiem became the highest men's seed to exit the competition on Thursday.

Murray beat Lu Yen-hsun in the second round before going on to win the 2013 Wimbledon, and he eased to a 6-3 6-2 6-1 victory at the same stage as he bids to regain the crown this year.

Sixth seed Raonic served up 25 aces as he blitzed Andrea Seppi 7-6 (7-5) 6-4 6-2 to move into the third round, fifth seed while Kei Nishikori dropped the first set against Julien Benneteau but recovered to complete a 4-6 6-4 6-4 6-2 win.

Eighth seed Thiem was beaten 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-5) 7-6 (7-3) by Jiri Vesely, while Sam Querrey will meet Novak Djokovic in the third round after overcoming Thomaz Bellucci 6-4 6-3 6-2.



Murray's routine win over Lu will see him take on Australia's John Millman next, while Raonic will face 27th seed Jack Sock after powering past Andreas Seppi.

Nishikori will meet Andrey Kuznetsov after the Russian beat Gilles Muller in straight sets, but 11th seed David Ferrer was unable to book a third-round place as he lost 6-1 6-4 6-3 to Nicolas Mahut.

After dispatching of Marcus Willis in straight sets on Wednesday, Roger Federer will face another Brit in the third round after Daniel Evans overcame Alexandr Dolgopolov 7-6 (8-6) 6-4 6-1.


Thiem looked capable of going deep into the Wimbledon draw following his triumph in Stuttgart, but he could not make it beyond the second round.

With Rafael Nadal not participating due to an injury and Federer returning following back trouble, the Austrian had a brilliant chance to mount a challenge for a first grand slam title.

However, Thiem suffered defeat to world number 64 Vesely for the first time on the ATP Tour, and the Czech will now face Joao Sousa in the third round.



Viktor Troicki was infuriated when the umpire overruled a line judge who called a serve from Albert Ramos-Vinolas out, putting the Spaniard on match point at 5-3 in the final set.

The angered Serb grabbed the ball and shouted at the official, and, when the official passed up the chance to look for white markings on the ball, he spun and hit it out of the court.

Troicki told the umpire "you're so bad" before heading back to the baseline to receive serve, which he returned long to lose the match, venting his frustration at the man in the chair once again.



After three days and more than four hours of action, Matthew Barton finally emerged from his marathon first-round match with Albano Olivetti victorious.

The 24-year-old Australian fell to the ground when the 6-7 (7-9) 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 6-7 (5-7) 14-12 victory was secured, and with it his first triumph at a grand slam.

Barton's win sets up a second-round match against John Isner and guarantees him at least a £50,000 pay-out, more than doubling his earnings so far in 2016.

"It's massive, it's going to set me up for the whole year and beyond," said Barton.