Several England fans were taken to hospital after Russian hooligans attack inside stadium


Several Britons were hospitalised after Russian football fans launched a vicious attack inside the Euro 2016 stadium. The clash marks a third consecutive day of violence in Marseille.

England fans were seen fleeing from the Stade Velodrome shortly after the final whistle was blown on the 1-1 draw as Balaclava-clad thugs punched through a line of stewards before attacking bystanders.

Clashes break out in the stands during the Euro 2016 Group B soccer match between England and Russia
(Thanassis Stavrakis/AP)

At least one Briton is understood to have been left seriously ill after a day of disorder in the Mediterranean port city left as many as 20 England fans injured.

The scenes from Marseille were described by the FA as "terrible" as it called on the local authorities to deal with the perpetrators swiftly.

There were also reports of attacks on Northern Ireland football fans by local "ultras" in Nice, where the side will play Poland later.

Clashes break out in the stands after the Euro 2016 Group B soccer match between England and Russia
(Thanassis Stavrakis/AP)

It is understood that Uefa will open disciplinary proceedings over the stadium violence, with Russia potentially facing strong sanctions.

The incident raises serious questions about French security at a time when the country is on high alert after November's terrorist attacks on Paris.

Spectators reported seeing stewards in the ground at the end of the game, but no police officers.

Tempers flare between rival fans in the stands during the UEFA Euro 2016, Group B match
(Owen Humphreys/PA)

Just before the end of the game, white flares were lit in the Russian end, followed by a green rocket which went over England goalkeeper Joe Hart's goal. This was followed by a bang and then a red firework.

England had earlier seen Eric Dier's sublime free-kick cancelled out by Vasili Berezutsky as Russia ended the game with a lucky point.

French police had used water cannon and tear gas on rioters hours before the game started.

Fist fights and bottle throwing broke out between the England supporters and their Russian and French counterparts in Marseille's Old Port on Saturday afternoon.

Rebekah Vardy, the new wife of Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy, tweeted that she was caught up in the "horrific" violence before kick-off.

According to France's BFM TV, 31 people were injured, four seriously, with one fighting for his life. Three police officers were also hurt, and six people were arrested.

Julian King, British ambassador to France, tweeted confirming that some Brits would receive medical treatment overnight.

England coach Roy Hodgson refused to comment in detail on the incidents, but said the players "weren't particularly aware (of what happened) and it certainly had no effect on our preparation for the game and our performance in the game".

Speaking at a post-match conference, FA spokesman Mark Whittle said the day's events were regrettable.

England supporters cover their faces after police fired tear gas
(Darko Bandic/AP)

"The FA is very disappointed about the terrible scenes of disorder and of course condemns such behaviour," said Whittle.

"It is now in the hands of the relevant authorities to identify those involved in trouble and deal with them appropriately and quickly.

"At this time the FA urges England supporters to act in a respectful manner and support England in the right way."

Despite the chaotic post-match scenes inside, England and Russian fans were later seen drifting away from the stadium peacefully.

However, the atmosphere remained tense at the Old Port, with police repeatedly firing tear gas at groups of fans, reportedly including a large group of French people. There were far fewer people near the port than in the past two evenings.