Jorge Lorenzo took aim at MotoGP officials for making track modifications in the wake of Luis Salom's death that he expects to benefit Honda at the Catalan Grand Prix.
Salom passed away on Friday after crashing at Turn 12 in a Moto2 practice session though the race weekend will go ahead, despite many riders suggesting they would prefer not to.
Marquez took pole by over half a second from world champion and rider's standings leader Lorenzo on Saturday, prompting anger from the Yamaha star, who says the track had been modified without his knowledge in response to Salom's fatal accident.
"Well I think the important thing this weekend is what happened yesterday," Lorenzo said. "Unfortunately we lost Luis and everything else is secondary. But you know after what happened yesterday, the Safety Commission decided to change the corners, together with some riders.
"I miss a little bit not to stay there, as world champion and leader of the world championship.
"I didn't receive any communication and I don't understand why we weren't there together, all 21 riders, to take such an important decision. To modify after Friday the track. I'm disappointed but it's like this.
"With this condition we have to manage to get the best result possible tomorrow. It's not simple for us because the first gear corners, for our bike, are not the best ones. It has much more benefit for Honda."
Sat next to Lorenzo at the news conference, Marquez quickly countered his countryman's claims.
He said: "One thing is clear; every Friday we have the Safety Commission meeting at 5:30 in the same place and yesterday it was the same riders as usual.
"Normally we are always nine or 10 riders, not every rider [attends], and I think if we have the opportunity to try to improve the safety of the tracks every rider needs to go."