Cowboys secure late win over Panthers, Eels thrash Raiders


North Queensland Cowboys left it late to secure a 23-18 win over Penrith Panthers at Pepper Stadium for their first away win of the NRL season on Saturday.

The Panthers raced into a 10-0 lead, with Bryce Cartwright leading a breakaway charge for Dallin Watene Zelezniak to score the first try in the eighth minute, and he added his second on the quarter-hour mark.

However, the Cowboys took the lead into the break with tries from Javid Bowen and Justin O'Neill, both converted by Johnathan Thurston.

Trent Merrin's try and a penalty from Jamie Soward put Penrith six points up, but Gavin Cooper helped restore parity ahead of the final 10 minutes.

A field goal from Lachlan Coote gave the Cowboys a one-point lead and, after Soward missed his attempt to equalise from near the halfway, Kyle Feldt ran in the winning score.

There was no such tension for Parramatta Eels, who hammered error-strewn Canberra Raiders 36-6 by running in six tries at the Pirtek Stadium.

Michael Jennings touched down twice inside the opening 15 minutes, before further scores from Kieran Foran and Beau Scott were converted by Michael Gordon - who was successful at all kicking attempts - as the Eels went into the break with a 24-0 lead.

The Raiders, who lost Frank-Paul Nuuausala following a concussion check, paid for defensive frailties and bad handling in the first half and they did so again after the restart, Kenny Edwards pouncing on a grubber kick in-goal after a fumble from Aidan Sezer.

Blake Austin and Brad Takairangi exchanged scores in the second half, and Raiders coach Ricky Stuart lamented the mistakes made by his players: "It was hard to drag it back through a lot of errors we kept making. You can't get too much momentum if you're making errors, but we were off today."

Jamie Lyon kicked 14 points as Manly Sea Eagles overcame New Zealand Warriors 34-18 in Auckland.

Steve Matai ran in a pair of tries for the Sea Eagles but the boot of Lyon proved integral, with a pair of penalties in the second half stemming the Warriors' hopes of mounting a fightback despite Solome Kata getting his seventh try in six games to set up a tense finale.