FIFA presidential candidate Tokyo Sexwale will face questions after being accused of running a "low-profile" campaign to succeed Sepp Blatter.
Sexwale is one of five men in contention to replace the Swiss at the elections on February 26, along with Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein, Jerome Champagne, Gianni Infantino and Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa.
Blatter and UEFA president Michel Platini were banned from all football-related activity for eight years after claims a "disloyal payment" was made from FIFA to the Frenchman in 2011.
With the presidential race seemingly wide open with no standout favourite, the South African Football Association (SAFA) has asked Sexwale to explain why his campaign has had little media exposure.
"The NEC (National Executive Committee), which is the highest decision-making body of the association, raised concerns about his low-profile campaign and they want him to come and explain himself," SAFA spokesman Dominic Chimhavi told AFP.
SAFA has asked to speak to Sexwale ahead of a meeting of the Confederation of African Football early next month, although the 62-year-old is currently out of the country.
"By the time that indication came, we had already planned to travel, so we are going to be seeing them next week," Sexwale's spokesman Peter-Paul Ngwenya told AFP.
SAFA chief executive Dennis Mumble reiterated the body's backing for Sexwale, but underlined the need for answers about his campaign.
"We are there to support him and we need to know what he thinks needs to be done going forward," he told the City Press.