West Indies chairman of selectors Clive Lloyd is open to powerful opener Chris Gayle making a return to Test cricket.
Gayle, 36, last played a Test in September 2014, with his focus since then mostly on domestic Twenty20 competitions.
The left-hander has said he is targeting a return to the five-day format in 2016 as he looks to add to his 103 Tests.
Lloyd said he was open to the idea of Gayle, who averages 42.18 with the bat in Tests, making a return for the struggling Windies.
"You have to play in our four-day competition before you're selected for the longer game," he told a news conference on Friday.
"It's entirely up to him to do so, if he chooses to play one-dayers then that's his choice and we'll have to choose accordingly.
"But to play in the one-day game you have to play in the one-day competition and to play in the Test matches you have to play in the longer form of cricket at home."
Lloyd said T20 competitions had "decimated" the Windies Test team, who trail Australia 2-0 in their three-match series.
But the West Indies great believes playing in the longer format is still the dream for kids.
Lloyd also backed captain Jason Holder and his team and also called for ICC assistance.
"They [the ICC] can give us some more money for starters," he said.
"The money should be evenly distributed because we are playing Test cricket."
He added: "I'm sure that we will be a force to be reckoned with in a couple of years' time."