Three dead after Stade de France blast


French Football Federation president Noel Le Graet has confirmed three fans have been killed following a bomb blast at the Stade de France as part of a series of incidents across Paris on Friday night.

An audible bang was heard during the first half of the game in the Saint-Denis district of the French capital and Le Graet later confirmed to Canal+ that three fans had lost their lives in the Gate J part of the ground.

News of a number of shootings and bomb blasts in Paris spread quickly as the game wore on, with hundreds of fans remaining on the pitch and in the stadium long after the final whistle.

French president Francois Hollande was in attendance at kick-off but was whisked away by security staff when the severity of the situation became clear.

The latest death toll is reported to stand at 26 although there have also been widespread claims of up to 60 people being held hostage. Reports suggest there may be as many as six gunmen involved with the scene of the worst attack thought to be the Bataclan concert hall. 

Le Petit Cambodge restaurant in the 11th district was another target with reports of 10 bodies lying in the street. A third incident occurred at the nearby Le Carillon bar.

Hollande has described it as "an unprecedented terrorist attack on France" just seven months before the country is due to stage the European Championship. According to Hollande a nationwide state of emergency will be declared and the country's borders will be closed.

Germany coach Joachim Low was clearly moved by the night's events when he spoke to ARD. 

He said: "We are all shattered and shocked. For me personally the sport takes a backseat. We will now be advised on what to do. We are baffled at the moment. When I heard the bang I could not imagine what that would be."

Germany team manager Oliver Bierhoff added: "There was a lot of uncertainty, fear and a strange mood in the locker room. It was noticeable how shocked the players were. They picked up their phones right away to call home."

L'Equipe reported Philippe Tournon, the press chief for the French national team, said Tuesday's scheduled international friendly against England would not now go ahead.