Mark Webber clinches victory in British GP


Mark Webber secured his second British GP win in three years today as he seized victory from Ferrari's Alonso in the final stages at Silverstone.

The Australian driver crossed the chequered flag with a lead of 3.060 seconds over the Spaniard's Ferrari, while Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel finished in third, 4.836 seconds behind, and secured a twin podium finish for the Milton Keynes-based team.

Webber announced over the team radio: "It was another great day for us, a great day for me. To win here again is a fantastic feeling."

He now has 116 points and is only 13 points away from leader Alonso in the overall championship standings.

In a tense race, Alonso relinquished the lead to Webber in lap 48 of 52. The Spaniard maintained a healthy lead for much of the race, but the decision to choose softer tyres in the final leg allowed Webber to close the gap and capitalise on the grip offered by his harder compound tyres. He overtook in turn four and powered on to a dramatic victory, now the ninth in his career to date.

Thousands of fans had luck on their side as the clouds disappeared and the track remained completely dry for the entire race. However, any hopes of a British win were dashed when a tussle for first place earlier on in lap 18 between a determined Hamilton and Alonso ended with a late pit from the McLaren driver and a resultant eighth place in the final standings.

McLaren's Jenson Button experienced a weekend that went from bad to worse as he started in 18th and managed to gain one point in 10th place. He is currently eighth in the championship behind Hamilton who takes fourth.

There was more bad news further down the track as Paul Di Resta failed to finish when a puncture badly damaged his car.

"I'm not really sure what happened," he said. "I just turned into turn four and there was no pressure in the right rear tyre so it was clearly punctured and coning off the rim. All I could do was bring the car back to the pits."

A cloud of smoke billowed from the back of Vitaly Petrov's car before the race even started, and with the mechanics only allowed six minutes to work on what looked like terminal engine damage, he failed to make the starting grid.

"I am obviously disappointed to have had my race end before I had even reached the grid," Petrov said. "These things sometimes happen in racing so there is no point looking back at it - Renault Sport F1 will look at the problem and we know they will work hard to make sure we do not see a repeat of it again."

At the end of the race, Felipe Massa finished in fourth, Raikonnen in fifth only 0.7 seconds behind Massa,Grosjean in sixth and Schumacher seventh in a race that was as unpredictable as the British weather this weekend.