Boy, 17, arrested after woman killed in double stabbing at a Bournemouth beach

<span>Forensic officers at the scene of the double stabbing at Durley Chine beach in Bournemouth, England on Saturday.</span><span>Photograph: Finnbarr Webster/Getty Images</span>
Forensic officers at the scene of the double stabbing at Durley Chine beach in Bournemouth, England on Saturday.Photograph: Finnbarr Webster/Getty Images

A 17-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a woman was stabbed to death on a Bournemouth beach and another badly injured.

Police were called to Durley Chine beach in Dorset at 11.42pm on Friday. A woman, 34, from Poole died at the scene and another, 38, also from Poole, was taken to hospital with very serious injuries. The next of kin of both women have been informed.

“Following extensive fast-time inquiries, a 17-year-old boy from Lancashire has been arrested on suspicion of murder,” a police statement said.

Police had initially appealed for witnesses while investigating the incident.

Supt Gavin House, of Dorset police, said earlier: “I would ask anyone who saw what happened or has any information about the offender and has not yet spoken to officers to please contact us urgently.

“The beach has been cordoned off to enable officers to conduct a thorough investigation of the scene. I would like to thank the public for their patience and understanding while this vital work takes place.”

He said the thoughts of police officers were with the loved ones of the woman who died.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics in January found knife crime had increased by 5% in the past year.

The MP for Bournemouth West, Conor Burns said: “Awaiting further updates from the police on the ghastly stabbing on the beach. A tragic death.”

Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (BCP) council said on social media: “A police cordon remains in place between the Bournemouth Oceanarium and the western side of Alum Chine.

“The beach, promenade, beach huts, Durley Chine car park, all businesses and access points within the cordon are currently closed.”