Two men narrowly escape after electric bike catches fire

Two men narrowly escaped after an electric bike caught fire inside a lift in southern China.

Footage filmed in Hefei City shows a man was in the lift with an e-bike and then another man walked in with a lithium battery for his bike.

After just a few seconds, smoke began pouring from the lithium battery and it exploded. Fortunately, the elevator doors opened in time and the two men narrowly escaped.

The fire did not spread any further, but the lift was damaged internally.

The two men were then taken away by police. The man who carried the lithium battery into the lift accepted to pay compensation for the damaged lift.

The video was filmed on May 10 and provided by local media.