Everton footballers want accused team-mate named

Everton players are demanding the club release the name of the individual arrested over alleged child sex offences, The Sun reports.

They are desperate to put an end to gossip over the suspect's identity.

Police said only that a 31-year-old married man was questioned but cannot be identified for legal reasons - though his name has been revealed in his home country and online.

One internationalist "was furious to have five missed calls" from the accused player.

A source said following a team meeting: "The players are highly agitated, they are not happy to be dragged into it.

"Senior Everton players have been contacted day and night by other Prem stars, all seeking details."

The player's merchandise has been pulled from shelves in his home country - and it emerged his wife left their luxury home while he stays at a safe house.

The player was suspended by the club over the allegations, which he denies, and remains on bail.

On Monday, Greater Manchester Police confirmed an individual had been arrested on Friday pending further enquiries.

The statement read: "Officers arrested a man on Friday 16 July 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences.

"He is on police bail pending further enquiries."

Everton subsequently confirmed they had suspended a player with a spokesman announcing the news in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

A club statement read: “We can confirm we have suspended a player pending a police investigation.

"The club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time."

The Daily Mail reported that the Toffees are providing 24/7 support to the player.