Baby dies after Kansas City mum puts her in oven rather than crib by mistake

The baby died after being put in the oven (PA Archive)
The baby died after being put in the oven (PA Archive)

A baby died when her mother mistakenly put her into an oven for a nap in a tragic incident in the US.

Mariah Thomas of Kansas City, Missouri, has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child after the incident on Friday.

Police responded to a call about an infant not breathing on Friday afternoon and responders found the child had been burned, declaring her dead at the scene.

A statement from the first responders read: "[She] put the child down for a nap and accidentally placed her in the oven instead of the crib.”

Jackson County prosecuting attorney Jean Peters Baker did not say in a statement how the mistake had been made.

"We acknowledge the gruesome nature of this tragedy and our hearts are weighted by the loss of this precious life,” the statement read.

"We trust the criminal justice system to respond appropriately to these awful circumstances."